Compassion in World Farming
Posted: 17 Jun 2022
Deadline: 14 Jul 2022
Compensation: £34,000 to £36,000 Pro-rata (Depending on Experience)
Paid Part-time Permanent Remote working
Job Title: Campaign Manager
Salary: £34,000 to £36,000 Pro-rata (Depending on Experience)
Job Type: Full-time 0.8 FTE (30 hours per week) permanent
Location: Remote working (can be office-based, or hybrid, if preferred)
Established by Compassion in World Farming, the Soil Association and Sustain, and supported by many other organisations the Alliance to Save Our Antibiotics is campaigning to end the routine use of antibiotics in farmed animals. The overuse of antibiotics in farming increases the rate of emergence of antibiotic resistant bacteria that threaten human and animal health and supports the continuation of farming practices that are inhumane and unsustainable.
Antibiotic resistance is increasing at a faster rate than previously realised and, as reported in The Lancet, in 2019, was directly responsible for the deaths of more than one and a quarter million people worldwide and linked with the deaths of nearly five million people. The overuse of antibiotics in humans and farm animals is to blame for this crisis. Worldwide about two thirds of antibiotics are used in livestock.
We are therefore looking for an experienced campaigner with an innovative, strategic approach to drive forward the Alliance to Save our Antibiotics campaign. Working alongside the Alliance’s Scientific Advisor, you will manage and coordinate the campaign to achieve significant reductions in farm antibiotic use, an end to routine preventative medication of farm animals, and to ensure that the UK keeps pace with EU rules in this area.
The campaign will involve building the case for higher animal health and welfare standards, better farming systems and a food policy that reduce the need for preventative antibiotic use, raising the media profile of the issue, developing and mobilising support amongst relevant stakeholders; from consumers to food companies to politicians, and lobbying politicians, officials and others as required.
The work will be taken forward through team-working with relevant departments within the three founding organisations of the Alliance and coordinating work with partner organisations.
This exciting post requires proven campaigning and lobbying ability, management skills and the capacity to travel internationally, sometimes at short notice.
Key responsibilities for the Campaign Manager role include:
- Implement the Alliance’s three year strategy (2021-2024) on behalf of the three founding members of the Alliance, some of which have different organisational goals, in an effective and collaborative manner.
- Project manage the Alliance’s workstreams and control the budget (excluding salaries)
- Deliver effective campaigns to raise public awareness of this issue and, working alongside the Scientific Advisor, make the campaign’s arguments with policy makers to help drive down irresponsible farm antibiotic use.
- Develop effective working relationships with members of Campaigns Team, Fundraising Team, Food Business Team and, where applicable, European offices of the founding partner organisations in order to be able to plan, implement and manage this successful campaign.
- Represent the Alliance in the media as appropriate, as well as at external meetings and conferences, in order to promote the Alliance’s views and policies.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with other stakeholders.
- Liaise with Trustees / Directors and third parties as required.
Our ideal candidate will have sound knowledge gained in a similar position, the ability to interpret scientific data, and a proven track record of leading and implementing successful campaigns along with a good understanding of UK political institutions. It is also desirable that you have a knowledge of farm animal welfare issues. Strong organisational skills and good attention to detail are also key requirements for this position.
Compassion in World Farming will employ the successful candidate, on behalf of the Alliance. Compassion in World Farming International is absolutely committed to providing equal opportunities for everyone regardless of their background. We value diversity and lived experience, and acknowledge the underrepresentation of people from certain backgrounds, both within our organisation and across the sector. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups, whether these be of ethnicity, gender, identity, religion, physical ability, sexual orientation or other.
Part 1: JOB PROFILE
1. OVERALL OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE POST
This post will assist with the campaign’s public-facing and advocacy strands of work, as well as increasing the size and diversity of the Alliance. We are seeking an exceptional candidate who can make our case at the highest levels, whether with e.g. politicians, industry or the medical profession. The post will have responsibility for securing greater public awareness of the issue and the campaign, as well as building exceptional working relationships to drive forward the campaign objectives.
POSITION ACROSS THE ALLIANCE’S THREE FOUNDING ORGANISATIONS
- Reports to Compassion in World Farming’s Senior Policy Manager (UK)
- Central liaison between Compassion, Soil Association and Sustain – including developing strong and effective working relationships with the Steering Group, media and comms teams, campaigns teams, digital teams, fundraising teams, farming teams and executive teams across all three organisations.
- Direct reports = 1 (Campaign Coordinator)
- Work closely with the Alliance’s Scientific Advisor (employed by Soil Association) and all members of the Alliance
2. SCOPE OF JOB (These are expanded on in Section 6)
- Develop and implement the Alliance’s strategic plan
- Plan, develop and manage campaigns on antibiotic reduction.
- Monitor media coverage, policy opportunities and campaign delivery of antibiotic awareness and identify opportunities to insert the Alliance’s messaging into these conversations.
3. DIMENSIONS & LIMITS OF AUTHORITY
- Manages the Alliance’s 2022-2024 budget of circa £500,000 and must work efficiently within the available resources.
- May recommend disciplinary action & training requirements for staff line managed by this role
- May recommend / suggest action to take on difficult cases.
- Responsible for creating and expanding the Alliance’s campaign work in the UK and liaising with partners and colleagues in the EU and globally.
- Responsible for provision of regular campaign reports for dissemination to other staff, directors, steering group members, etc. To contribute to the Board reports, monitoring and evaluation of the assigned campaigns projects.
- Manage any short-term consultants that might be recruited.
4. PERSON SPECIFICATION
Proven Ability, Qualifications & Training
- Higher level qualification, or similar life or work experience in a relevant subject
- Strong influencing skills
- Proven ability to work strategically, as well as to deliver an effective programme of work
- Facilitation, chairing and meeting management involving diverse stakeholders
- Proven ability to work independently, remotely and to self-manage, with a high level of diligence and accountability
- Exceptional communications skills – written, oral and presentation; and exceptional ability to communicate effectively at all levels (e.g. from government officials to members of the general public) and use of social media
- Ability to assess, assimilate and accurately communicate scientific evidence and good industry practice
- IT skills, including webinars/online meetings, email, web browsing, Word, Excel, online content management systems and PowerPoint
- Interested in, and knowledgeable about, global and domestic issues relating to the food and farming system, environment and animal welfare
Skills, Knowledge & Attributes
- Proven track record of leading and driving successful campaigns
- Strategic and practical understanding of UK political institutions and food and farming industry bodies, and how to influence them
- Proven track record of lobbying and influencing at high levels
- Ability to convene, develop relevant work, and build excellent relationships with NGOs and charitable organisations
- Proven ability to understand and interpret scientific data
- Positive disposition
- Approachable and adaptable
- Supportive of colleagues
- Innovative and creative
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Ability to welcome input from others, especially in relation to sensitive or scientific editorial matters
- Experience of working in or with organisations in the medical/public health sector
- Understanding of antimicrobial resistance – the causes, mitigation and impact – especially in relation to livestock farming
- Knowledge of international AMR-focussed political and public health groups
- In-depth understanding of food and farming systems and farm animal welfare
- Knowledge of EU political institutions and how to influence them
- Experience of working for coalitions and coordinating joint action
Part 2: DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
5. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
Strategy and management 30%
- Implement 3 year strategy for the Alliance 2021/2 – 2024
- Management of cross-organisational working of the three founding members of the Alliance, ensuring regular updates and reporting
- Project manage the Alliance’s workstreams and budget (excluding salaries)
- Manage the Alliance’s Campaign Coordinator, including allocating work, managing performance and reviewing output
Lobbying and Influencing 10%
- Making the campaign’s arguments at the highest levels in the UK and internationally (including in the EU)
- Building relationships with key stakeholders
- Creating and maximising opportunities to influence Government policy and supply chains
- Creating and maximising opportunities to influence arms-length Government bodies and industry bodies
- Engaging with the political process to advance the aims of the Alliance
Alliance building 10%
- Creating and maximising opportunities to bring the campaign to new audiences
- Increasing the membership of the Alliance by approaching and influencing significant organisations
- Networking with other organisations and individuals to advance the aims of the campaign, may include some liaison with international organisations, academics, etc
- Identifying and recruiting experts to support the arguments of the campaign
- Manage communications with Alliance Members
Representing the Alliance in the media and other external situations 10%
- Representing the Alliance in the media as appropriate
- Prompting and providing content for and support the social media teams at the founding organisations
- Representing the Alliance at external meetings, conferences and other fora as appropriate, at which every opportunity should be taken to put forward the Alliance’s views and policies
- Representing the Alliance in such environments that are likely to provide opportunities to develop strategic alliances with a view to furthering the campaign
- Liaise with media teams in founding organisations to coordinate media output for the Alliance, including twitter, press releases, newsletter and publications, ensuring appropriate sign off from Steering Group and other internal staff stakeholders where appropriate
- Manage and continually improve the Alliance’s website
Reporting and Fundraising 10%
- Collecting and collating evidence of outputs, engagement of key stakeholders and impact
- Reporting to funders in collaboration with the fundraising teams of the founding organisations
- Supporting the fundraising teams of the founding organisations in securing new funding, including meeting with potential and current funders as appropriate
- Reporting to the steering group and keeping them up to date with developments
- Conceptualise and deliver events as appropriate for the various workstreams.
6. CIWF Values
- Treats people with dignity & respect
- Maintains high ethical standards
- Demonstrates commitment to the Steering Group Member’s mission and goals.
- Communication – level 3
- Working with People – level 3
- Drive for results – level 3
- Relating and Networking – level 3
- Persuading and Influencing – level 3
- Applying Technical Expertise – level 3
- Learning and Research – level 2
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – level 2
7. ADDITIONAL TASKS
To assist with other departmental duties where necessary, as listed below:
- As part of your employment you may be required to travel anywhere within the world in order to carry out the duties of your employment. Significant travel within the UK will be required, and possibly some European travel
- Due to the nature of the role, there may be a requirement to carry out some work out of office hours. This work is to be arranged in accordance with procedures
- Taking due and reasonable care of oneself and others in respect of Health & Safety at Work
- Acting in a manner that enhances the work of the Alliance, and its founding organisations, and its overall public image
- Provide formal and informal training at the request of your line manager, senior manager or a director, on your areas of expertise, to other members of staff, work experience students, trustees etc.
- In all work activities, complying with data protection legislation and each founding organisation’s requirements for the protection of personal information and the privacy of individuals
- Working on projects / tasks as specified by the Steering group
- Attending and participating in, at least, monthly management meetings with their line manager and quarterly steering group meetings
- Actively support the promotion and delivery and embedding of equality, inclusion and diversity.
- The job description is not exhaustive, and you may be asked to carry out additional tasks which are appropriate to your experience, as required by your line manager or the Steering Group
Closing: 5pm, 14th July 2022. We would like applications as soon as possible as these will be reviewed regularly and interviews may take place on a rolling programme.
Please complete the online application form and upload your CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the person specification detailed in the Job Description. Visit our website: https://ciwf.livevacancies.co.uk/#/job/details/98
Please mention Roots to Work when applying for these jobs
About Compassion in World Farming
Compassion in World Farming International is the leading international farm animal welfare charity, campaigning to improve the lives of millions of farm animals through advocacy, lobbying for legislative change and positive engagement with the global food industry. Our established Food Business programme aims to raise baseline standards for farm animals by securing commitments, ensuring compliance and facilitating implementation of higher welfare policies and practices.