Brighthelm Centre, North Road BN1 1YD
Compensation: £35,000 per annum
Paid Full-time Fixed term / contract
PAN UK and RSPB have established a strategic collaboration to work towards achieving a significant reduction of pesticide-related harms in the UK and are looking for a full-time Coordinator.
While PAN UK and RSPB are jointly managing the project, the collaboration represents a broad range of interests and sectors including health, environment and consumer and workers’ rights. It is made up of a range of stakeholders including civil society organisations, farmers, trade unions and academics.
We are looking for a passionate, organised and self-motivated individual dedicated to pushing for environmental and social justice to coordinate the collaboration’s efforts. As Collaboration Coordinator, you will be involved in a wide variety of tasks including; communicating with member organisations and keeping everyone on the same page, writing online and offline communications materials, liaising directly with decision-makers and journalists, feeding into campaign strategy, public speaking, organising events and contributing to fundraising proposals and reporting.
As well as coordinating the collaboration’s work, you will work closely with the collaboration’s other member of staff, the Farming Policy Officer, who is based at RSPB. You will also be part of PAN UK’s Policy and Campaigns Team and report directly to their Head of Policy and Campaigns.
- Take a lead role in coordinating the collaboration including maintaining regular contact with all participating organisations in order to keep them up-to-date on external developments and collaboration activities.
- Develop the collaboration’s policy positions and key messages in a collaborative way which achieves buy-in from participating organisations.
- Represent the collaboration externally with political decision-makers, civil servants and journalists.
- Advocate for changes to UK legislation and regulation which will better protect human health and the environment from pesticides.
- Work with participating organisations to mobilise members of the public to campaign for change and lobby decision-makers.
- Produce a range of online and offline communication materials such as newsletters, blogs, social media posts, infographics and information leaflets.
- Help establish the collaboration, including leading on the development of its governance structures, logo and website.
- Organise events on behalf of the collaboration, ensuring that they run professionally.
- Manage the collaboration in an ethical and transparent way which promotes participation and good governance.
- Contribute to funding proposals and donor reports as and when required.
- Track expenditure and sign off significant costs with line manager.
- Work within PAN UK’s policies, processes and procedures at all times.
- Other duties as may reasonably be requested and commensurate with the post.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent minimum 5 years’ work experience in a relevant field.
Experience, skills and knowledge
- Experience of developing policy positions and recommendations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Clear understanding of parliament and policy-making
- Basic understanding of pesticides and their impacts on health and environment
- Experience of coalition work
- Experience of mobilising members of the public to campaign for change
- Strategic planning skills
- Basic budget management experience
- Organisational and administrative skills that demonstrate the ability to work efficiently and autonomously as well as part of a team
- Parliamentary advocacy experience
- Feeding into funding applications and reporting to donors
- Media skills
- Public speaking
- Experience using social media for advocacy
- Event management
- Knowledge of sustainable farming
- Knowledge of relevant subject areas including the environment, conservation, and human health
- Committed to the achievement of environmental and social justice
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, particularly in written work
- Aptitude for coalition-building and diplomacy
- Ability to be flexible, respond positively to change, work effectively under pressure and deal with conflicting priorities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to get on with people of varied backgrounds.
- A positive, ‘can-do’ attitude and the confidence to undertake new tasks.
- Independent and self-motivated.
- Committed to working in collaboration
- A ‘hands on’ individual also able to operate at a strategic level
- Ability to work from Brighton office at least three days per week
- Willingness to travel within the UK
- Ability to work outside of normal office hours when required
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and a covering letter of no more than two pages explaining how you meet the person specification and what you can bring to the role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11pm on Sunday 4th October.
Online interviews will be held on Thursday 15th and Friday 16th October. If necessary, second interviews will be held on Thursday 22nd October.
Please mention Roots to Work when applying for these jobs
About PAN UK
PAN UK is the only UK charity focused on tackling the problems caused by pesticides and promoting safe and sustainable alternatives in agriculture, urban areas, homes and gardens. We work tirelessly to apply pressure to governments, regulators, policy makers, industry and retailers to reduce the impacts of harmful pesticides to both human health and the environment.