Windmill Community Gardens Margate CIO
Posted: 9 May 2022
Deadline: 25 May 2022
Compensation: £11 per hour
Support services delivered from the community garden and market garden, inc production of chemical free vegetables for Veg Bags, Market Stall and restaurants. Contribute to the development of outdoor opportunities and activities for the community including children, families, groups and individuals from disadvantaged or marginalised communities in Thanet.
24 hours per week Monday – Friday, occasional weekends
Accountable to Team Leader
- To work on and support the efficient running of the two, one acre plots across WCGM including maintenance of equipment as required.
- To support and work with WCGM staff and volunteers on site ensuring a regular supply of seasonal organic produce and increasing sales of the Veg bag, restaurants and market stall.
- To actively work with the team leader to develop plans for cropping, fertility building, rotations, to ensure availability for selling, cooking and tasting purposes.
- To support, facilitate and deliver engaging and participative activities required in the Business Plan or identified by the Community in a safe, inclusive environment.
- Involve the local community through the provision of learning opportunities, volunteer and work experience placements.
- To work within the aims WCGM CIO, to reflect community participation, environmental and financial sustainability and promotion of links between food and health.
- To ensure positive and productive relationships within WCGM CIO with members of staff, volunteers, participants, service users and partners.
- To ensure that climate change is addressed to protect future sustainability.
- Work in partnership with other agencies and professionals.
- Undertake Monitoring and evaluation tasks and provide data as required by manager
- Assist with education visits / events / open days.
Ensure compliance with all WCGM CIO Policies and procedures and Practice and those for Safeguarding Children and Adults at Risk.
Ensure Health & Safety compliance onsite and comply with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
Undertake activities that support the continuity of the business e.g. cover for absence, collection/delivery as required by the Manager.
Attend required meetings and reviews.
Attend training and development events as required.
Any other duties agreed with the line manager.
- Work flexibly across both sites, adapting to service needs as and when required, including cover
- Complete additional tasks as and when required to suit the business need
- Provide cover for team members as and when required
- Use initiative to carry out agreed tasks and priorities
- Implement safeguarding policies and practice, keeping up to date with training
- Maintain up to date knowledge and understanding of all Policy, Procedure and Governance, ensuring these are implemented within your practice
Communication and Working Relationships
WCGM Chair, WCGM Programme Manager, Team Leader, Community Grower, Communications Co-ordinator, Saturday Environmental Play Worker, volunteers, work experience placements, visiting groups and individuals, customers and WCGM Staff.
All voluntary and statutory agencies in connection with WCGM, participants and partners and service users.
This job description will be used as a basis for individual performance review between the post holder and the Line Manager.
This job description covers only the main responsibilities, specific objectives will be set and reviewed each quarter and may change to meet the changing needs of the service.
The post holder will comply with the employing authorities ‘Terms and Conditions’ including Equal Opportunities Policy, Child Protection Policy, Health & Safety, Confidentiality Guidelines and the General Data Protection Regulation, (GDPR).
- A relevant qualification and/or relevant experience in horticulture and/or in Organic food growing. Experience in working in community based horticulture and crop management, including: knowledge of pests, diseases and organic control methods.
- Commitment to sustainable food growing that involves the community.
- Commitment to environment protection, healthy eating and food preparation.
- Experience in supporting volunteers, work experience placements and those participants from At Risk groups.
- Experience of working with children / young people in an outdoor environmental setting.
- Excellent people and communication skills: verbal, written and electronic
- Team working skills, sharing information and resources, encouraging joined up thinking.
- Competent in using Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- Compliance with and commitment to the principles of Safeguarding and Equal Opportunities.
- Working knowledge and experience of Health & Safety and Workplace Safety.
- Commitment to compliance with MCCPL Policies and Procedures.
- Full UK driving license.
- Relevant horticultural qualification, ‘level 2’ or above.
- A relevant teaching qualification, or experience delivering training
- Previous experience of working in the voluntary/ community sector.
- Experience in related commercial environment, garden or farming.
- Practical DIY skills.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for application form and job description
Please mention Roots to Work when applying for these jobs
About Windmill Community Gardens Margate CIO
Our newly funded Charity Windmill Community Gardens Margate (WCGM) aims to deliver social, environmental and health benefits whilst supporting people to learn about food growing, cooking and outdoor activities together. The project has a community garden and market garden of one acre each. We grow, sell and share chemical free produce on a co-produced basis with members of the local community.