Education and Events Coordinator
UKHarvest - Nourish Hub
Hammersmith and Fulham, London
Posted: 20 Nov 2023
Deadline: 8 Dec 2023
Compensation: £35,000 per year
Paid Full-time Permanent
Nourish Hub Background
In 2017 the Mayor of London asked for bids from across the local authorities in London to deliver projects under the Good Growth umbrella. The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham were selected to deliver the Nourish Hub on the Edward Woods Estate in Hammersmith. UKHarvest, a national food rescue and education charity were chosen as the partner to deliver the activities within the Hub, delivering learning and training opportunities and providing engagement and outreach services for the local community. The Hub delivers opportunities for all to nourish the mind, body and soul. Using rescued food as a medium to empower, people are offered a Community Lunch every weekday on a “donate as you dine" basis, an Education and Learning Programmes to meet local need and an extensive volunteer programme to upskills and provide community capacity. Everything we do is to enrich and support our community.
UKHarvest works in partnership with local communities, public bodies, private companies, and other voluntary sector organisations to support our community. We deliver consistent and high-quality community development activities and events to improve social cohesion, facilitate social action around nutrition and the environment, to improve people’s lives and to engage community capacity building. We add value to community development activities which are already in place.
The Education and Event Coordinator is a key member of the Hub staff, reporting directly to the Hub Manager. As an integral part of the team, the role holder will lead on the development and delivery of community led projects. The role will include community engagement and outreach in Hammersmith and Fulham and the and delivery of our community education programmes, projects and events. These programmes include co-designing, awareness raising and delivery of learning programmes; community capacity building through events and campaigns, community development and training; nutritional education projects, environmental conservation activities, such as how to reduce household food waste.
- Lead the implementation of engagement and participation with local community groups and the community itself.
- Manage the development and delivery of our Community Education and Learning Programmes
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality community work that includes nutritional advice and support to local communities and enables local people to be empowered in their ability to uptake offers to improve their quality of life and life chances.
- Teach groups which include low-income and marginalised groups the basics of food and kitchen safety and food preparation and/or the basics of nutrition and food waste.
- Assist the Hub Manager in identifying and developing partnerships, funding applications and marketing opportunities for the Community Education and Learning Programmes.
- Ensure professional best practice and compliance with internal finance, people and culture, project management systems and all policies and procedures.
- Line management of sessional staff and volunteers who support the delivery of our Programmes.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
Programme coordination and project management
- Coordinate UKHarvest’s multi-faceted learning and education programme and projects and support sessional staff and volunteers in delivering specific projects, ensuring overall programme outcomes and KPI’s are achieved.
- Responsibility for the development and implementation of various projects and events, including overseeing delivery targets and managing capacity and finances by ensuring that budgets are set, monitored, and achieved.
Teaching and Facilitation
- Set-up and deliver the Education and Learning sessions, ensuring all equipment is set-up and ready for learners upon arrival.
- Deliver assemblies and group sessions to young people and adults, encouraging class discussion around nutrition, food waste and cooking skills, developing knowledge and skills. A degree in Nutrition or similar is desirable, a passion for food and the environment is a must.
Evaluation and continuous improvement
- Ensure that programmes and projects are effectively monitored and evaluated, ensuring high quality communication (including verbal and written reports) to and between partners, funders and stakeholders, including ensuring the monitoring and evaluation requirements of the GLA and H&F are met.
- Ensure that all completed projects undergo meaningful evaluation, and that learning is incorporated into future development and organisational strategy.
Recruitment and management of staff
- Provide assistance in the recruitment of staff and volunteers to support Education and Events programme.
- Line manage sessional staff and Volunteers, developing and monitoring the performance and capacity of the team.
- Establish, maintain and develop effective working relationships with key external stakeholders and partners.
- Participate in local events and conferences to promote projects and build partnerships for new project developments.
Development and fundraising
- Assist the Hub Manager in the development of new projects by actively identifying development opportunities and taking the initiative in developing new projects in liaison with the public, private, voluntary and community sectors
- Work with the UKHarvest Fundraising Lead and Hub Manager to compile funding bids and tenders.
- Actively participate in defining personal, team and organisational goals.
- Liaise with other community practitioners across London and the South Coast to share best practice, ensure effective project delivery on cross-themed projects, replicate development opportunities and maximise team skills.
Personal and Professional Development
- Participate in the UKHarvest Performance Management and Appraisal process, and agree short, medium and long term goals with line manager.
- Identify learning and development needs with line manager and evaluate Training & Development to demonstrate needs have been met.
- Share best practice and achievements, and actively seek opportunities to present outcomes and case studies.
- Contribute to the learning of others across the organisation by sharing knowledge and skills both informally and formally by participating in the trust’s training and development programme.
- Undertake any other related responsibilities commensurate with the evolving objectives of the post and the evolution of UKHarvest, as may reasonably be requested by the Hub Manager and/or Director for Communities and CEO.
- the work and image of UKHarvest at all times, providing an efficient and courteous service
- Ensure the effective implementation of and adherence to UKHarvest’s Diversity, Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Indicative timeline of recruitment
Closing date for applications: Thursday 7th December 2023
Interviews commence: 11th – 22nd December
Role will begin: A.S.A.P
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, referencing ‘Education and Events Coordinator’ in the subject. When completing your cover letter, you should demonstrate/evidence the extent to which you have the necessary qualifications, experience, knowledge, and skills identified in the Person Specification Matrix (see website for matrix).
Please mention Roots to Work when applying for these jobs
About UKHarvest - Nourish Hub
- Nourish Hub is a community food hub ran by UKHarvest which supports the most socially isolated and lonely, and to provide personal and professional development and enrichment through nutritious food and education. Food is a medium for broadening pathways into careers and entrepreneurship, while also unlocking ambitions and aspirations and positioning the Nourish Hub as a focal point for hosting, celebrating and providing opportunities for the evolution of local creative culture.